Mission and Programs
The mission of the Michigan Remembers 9-11 Fund is to ensure that future generations remember September 11, 2001 as a day of loss and tragedy, and also as a day of heroism and sacrifice. We do so by remembering and honoring those who lost their lives on 9/11/01, including 19 with Michigan connections, and by celebrating and thanking the brave men and women across Michigan who protect and serve our communities and the nation on a daily basis.
We accomplish our mission through several programs that we operate singly or with partner organizations. Among these are:
- Remembrances and memorials submitted to this website and displayed on its pages.
- Maintain an interactive map of 9-11 memorials across the state of Michigan.
- An annual scholarship program for high school juniors and seniors that requires them to research, write, and submit an essay on the September 11, 2001 events, its causes, aftermaths, and resulting wars and world events.
- Annual events on or near September 11 that commemorate the terrorist attacks and encourage the public to reflect on the losses incurred by Michigan and the nation.
- Hold a 5k run/walk each September that raises funds to send two deserving first responders to represent Michigan at the national Tunnel to Towers Run in New York City.